This blog is one of a group of blogs that I've set up as what I've called, "notebooks". The style I'm using to present posts/thoughts/issues is just that - notebook style, which means no frills, little formality, and a very narrow focus on a very narrow subject.

When I say, "no frills...little formality" I don't mean "as in only-care-if-I-can-read-the-notes". What I mean by that is that posts are "raw material" that I may/may not incorporate into more polished material somewhere else. My aim in creating a blog/"notebook" for each very narrow subject, however, is to present material/thoughts on each subject all in one place so that anyone who comes across one of the blogs will find a number of things (sometimes very specific, sometimes broader, sometimes more in-depth, sometimes just a quick thought) related to the very narrow subject. For the larger context within which any of the "isolated" subjects may relate to any of the others, I'll provide appropriate links to other "notebooks".

Thursday, August 25, 2016

I'm Tempted To Say That I Walk For A Living - But, Of Course, It's Really Just A Big Inconvenience Within A Life

This long, long, kind of all encompassing post is something I'm posting on this "notebook blog" mainly because I'm not entirely all that comfortable with my candor in it, and have therefore decided to tuck it away in this "notebook".  I know it can be found if someone were to look.  That's fine.  I just want this post easily removed if I want to remove it.  Also, I don't want to call "main attention" to it.

Since I first started "walking for a living" (that's what it feels like since everything I wear, buy, carry, and/or otherwise keep on hand often involves the "walking factor"),  my projects/online efforts, as well as online writing in general (not to mention ever evolving devices) have continued to evolve/change.

If there are actually people who walk for a living (rather than just, say, walk for exercise or health, or walk for transportation, I don't really know anything about them.

It's just that where I live, the weather, and my "actual life", make me feel as if I "walk for a living" because of all the ways my personal "walking lifestyle" mixes in with my "actual life" (while also remaining just a little "side aspect" of it in most ways).

One irony is that as different devices became available I began aiming to have some of them so that I could actually do some work outside (not to mention the keeping track of business I referred to in a previous post).  Some were heavy.  That was OK.  There's such a thing as bags with shoulder straps.   If I was in someone's car I didn't usually want, need, or plan to use certain devices anyway (because besides errands there has usually been some socializing under that circumstance).

There actually have been times when I'd do a little work outside.  Then, too, some devices got smaller before they got bigger - and at some point the bigger and heavier devices became too heavy once weight became a factor for a person with a leg injury (and then two) that didn't "do extra weight" very well.

In any case,  right before the leg injuries my "carrying-stuff-with-me" situation had gone from just my usual shoulder bag and cell phone to (sometimes) my usual shoulder bag, cell phone, and one or another kind of bag that I may/may not leave in someone's car or else slung over the same shoulder that the purse was.

The first leg injury changed everything, but even with that, there was a brief time in Fall when the leg injury was good enough to start walking on it again as long as I kept a sturdy shopping cart with me.  Since I had that little cart that was just enough "iffy support" to take a little bit of my own weight off the still-not-that-great leg; I'd throw in a device or two, maybe my camera , and have a brief time when I actually thought I was getting back to at least some of my old practices.  That's when Winter hit.

If I recall correctly (I'm not going to double-check now because it's not that important), that was the Winter when Google's "Panda" hit online writing sites.  I just remember sitting with "The Leg" plopped on its faithful little stool next to my little desk, with my face glued to PC screen and my ear to television  as yet another major change in my personal "whole picture".  It got my mind off "The Leg", and (like "walking for a living") was only a small part of my "actual life".

Part of me wants to say (and will kind of say) that "The Leg" was the least of my problems.  Part of me wants to say (and will kind of say) that Google's Panda "shake up" was the least of my problems.  Part of me even wants to say (and will kind of say) that not driving was, in some ways, the least of my problems.

Aside from planning to eventually turn at least some of this into something useful for someone other than myself, I will say that a very big part of me wants to get at least some of this down in writing because a) I don't know anyone else in my circle who has spent as much time as I have "all involved" with the online writing thing.  I don't know anyone in my circle who "walks for a living" and/or who does at least x amount of business out of a shoulder bag, rather than an office and/or a car.

And, while I'm not ordinarily someone who cares about who understands my situation and/or who thinks what (if anything) about what I do, I've often found myself on the receiving end of questions, well meaning advice, ideas, etc. etc. from people who are being kind but who don't at least know me/my situation well enough that they clearly wonder if I'm even sane.

People who know me at least know that I'm obviously sane.  A less "dramatic" piece of well intended information came years ago when someone told me where I could get "help for alcoholics" (!!!).  I very close to "don't drink at all" - VERY close.  It's not that one person made that remark years ago and I "never got over it".  It's that that is an easy-to-recall example of the kind of thing that makes even someone who normally doesn't assume other people are thinking much about her to have to process how to deal with out-of-the-blue remarks/advice coming from people who mean well but who clearly have nowhere near an accurate reading of what I am.

If the remarks were behind my back I wouldn't have to deal with them, but when they're to my face I don't know what on Earth to say.  It's some version of "short-circuiting" that I referred to in the post about  having my errands plan thrown off.

I'm no different from most people who think it doesn't matter much what someone else thinks (although I certainly care to some to extent).  Even with that, no, it doesn't, or shouldn't, matter much what someone I don't know, or barely know, thinks about me.  What does matter is how they treat me if they treat me based on something that has nothing to do with reality.

It is kind of disturbing to realize that the person who gets into a late model, or reasonably late model, car and privately scoots off to work outside the home (or even to the supermarket and bank) doesn't even have to think about whether anyone else thinks s/he is an alcoholic or a "bag lady".  (I actually have "great" "bag-lady" hair because no spray in the world can help my fine, straight, hair stand up under even a mild breeze or a little humidity, not to mention rain, snow, or major wind.  And, a hat wouldn't help.  It would only add to "bag lady" look (or else just the "weird look" considering where I walk and what else I wear.).

I don't think too many women would prefer to be their worst-looking when they're outside their home.  Some people may be under the mistaken impression that older women don't care.  We do.

Something else that I find disturbing is this.  I'm a smoker who would prefer to quit, or at least cut way back until I could quit.  The walking thing is not the way I can quit because of the "frazzlement" factor.
Quitting or not, I'd certainly prefer to be more discreet  about it (considering how horrendously looked down on this particular habit is).

While there was once a time (maybe I just hadn't seen the sign on the door, although I don't think there was one there) when I could find a quiet and kind of private-enough location outside the public library, (and away from the door) I would eventually see a sign on the front door smoking on the grounds was not allowed.

So, in a state where marijuana will soon be on the ballot, where God-knows-how-many-people have serious, serious, problems with both legally prescribed and illegal drugs, where drinking is whatever problem it is (and as far as I know drinking and driving still happens over and over again), and where who-knows-what-kind-of mind-altering (or at least mind-dulling) substances are all out there in "full and disastrous and questionable bloom"; my choice is to either indulge in my less than desirable habit (I don't pretend it's anything else) while walking down a main street or standing at the corner of shopping center or anywhere else I can find that's not private.

I'm NOT defending smoking, and I'm NOT saying I think it should be allowed indoors anywhere.  Neither am I looking for some kind of sympathy or even understanding.  I'm just pointing out that not driving  (at least where I live) means, in yet one more way, pretty much putting my worst out there in public; while other people get to look so much less questionable (or plain, old, peculiar), keep so much more dignity for themselves, and yet go off and do whatever they do in private without anyone else ever noticing or judging them (or at least without whatever they do being factored into what people think of them).

For someone like me (who takes no medication other than aspirin and who keeps ibuprofen in the house in case, maybe, I want to take one or in case someone visiting asks if I have any) - I'm sorry - but, yes, this seemingly minor thing irks the heck out of me, to say the least.

And, what is actually frightening for me is that if I'm either trying to quit or else just don't happen to have  any of the much-despised item-in-question; and if I get particularly "frazzled" because of that, and want to go out and high-speed, walk-off, some steam; I'm afraid that if it's night and if I do then there's a good chance someone will call the police and say I'm out there walking; and have a "giant misunderstanding take place".

Maybe I should be every bit as worried on behalf of myself as I am for other people (particularly, maybe, women - but anyone, really) with regard to this potential/occasional (rare, really) urge to take off at night on a high-speed walk in order to try to fend off the discomfort of nicotine withdrawal.  I do wonder, though, about people who may not be as well established in their community as I am, or else maybe, say, women who are younger than I am (and therefore don't have the thing about having had children in the local schools and activities).

.

No comments:

Post a Comment